Interactive Travel Map


View "Vanny" - Travel Map in a larger map

1 January 2011

Week 53 - Hook-Up Socket


When on site, I will charge the leisure batteries and power the van from an electrical hook-up point. I don’t think this will be needed to often but it is a provision I want to have. I wired up the socket and secured it firmly in place. I then sealed all around the socket with Araldite and bathroom sealant, as a preventative measure against water getting in.

After threading through the cable into the under-seat area, I fixed the socket (with the protective cap) to the underside of the van chassis by the driver’s door. This way there is less chance of driving off with the cable still attached. The socket was bolted securely in place and can now be connected up to various components inside the van.

Additionally, this week I decided to fit a 12v socket by the side door of the van. There are already two sockets at the back but I thought it would be more helpful to have one at the front near the table, ideal for a phone or laptop charger.

I drilled a pilot hole through the separating board and then used a hole saw to expand the hole for the socket to fit in. as there is carpet on both sides, it took a while make sure that the carpet wouldn’t unravel too much. The socket was then glued in and wired up.

No comments:

Post a Comment