Interactive Travel Map


View "Vanny" - Travel Map in a larger map

15 August 2010

Week 33 - Map 2


It was time to return to the map for the side door which I started in week 21. The map and Perspex cover were both already cut to shape and they could now be mounted in place.
I removed the grey panel which was already there and measured where the map would fit and where it could be fixed to the door (making sure to steer clear of the door handle and lock).
I then drilled 5mm holes through the inner door, map and Perspex before removing the map to clear out any swarf which may get caught behind the Perspex cover. Once happy, I riveted the map and cover into place using 5mm aluminium rivets. The benefit of using thin 2mm Perspex is that there is more than enough flex in it to ensure it doesn’t crack when the rivets go in.

I later added a few more rivets after the plastic bowed slightly (due to the temperature?) and this helped keep it flat.
I then cut and glued a border around the map and used the white sealant to seal the gap between the frame and van to prevent water getting behind the cover.
I am really happy with the result and it’s something which makes the van personal to me and my planned trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment