Interactive Travel Map


View "Vanny" - Travel Map in a larger map

1 August 2010

Week 31 - Shelving 1


This week I started work on the construction of the rest of the shelving for Vanny. The shelves will go above the kitchen unit and above the storage bench towards the rear of the van.
Before I started cutting the material, I made a simple template from some cardboard to match the contoured sides of the van and the radiused corner where the wall meets the ceiling. I also drew on horizontal and vertical markers to ensure that the shelves would be straight when fitted. 

I started by cutting the sides and the bases of each shelf from ply. I then fixed them in place with 15x15mm wooden batons which were glued down. The shelves were still pretty unsteady at the point but that was ideal.
I screwed through the batons to fix the shelves in position in the van. This way I was able to get them fixed tightly to the wall while they still had some movement in them and it also allowed me to get in with the drill before the ledges were fitted in place.

When I was happy and all the holes were drilled, the ledges could be added to stiffen up the structure of the shelves while they are located in the correct position. I didn’t want any screws showing on the outside of the shelves, so these were set in place with plenty of wood glue and some clamps. This really added rigidity to the construction and they could then be removed for staining and varnishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment