Interactive Travel Map


View "Vanny" - Travel Map in a larger map

17 August 2011

Sziget Festival, Hungary

Day 0

Okay, what kind of festival has the headline act tagged on for an extra day at the start? Well, this festival does. My first night back in Budapest started with (the artist formally known as: The Artist Formally Known As) Prince playing the main Sziget stage. Now, I have to say that I was not yet into "festival mode" and my first thought on Prince was that I never really got what the guy was all about? And, whatever it is, has he even still got it?

Prince

The answer is yes, he definitely still has his funk. He was energetic and entertaining all night as he burst through a repertoire of classic hits and played numerous encours long into the night with extended versions of "Purple Rain" and "Kiss" proving predictably popular. Prince was clearly enjoying himself didn't want to stop playing and dancing. It was a great night to start the festival and raised my expectations for the week ahead. That's right, a whole festival week!


Day 1

So with no festival parking I camped at Haller Camping (the site I stayed at before) with 40 minute cycle rides back and forth each day from the arena. It was a promising line-up on the main stage so I got in early (about midday) and picked my spot at the front of the barrier. After some delay, the first band of the day were The Maccabies, fronted by a Christiano Ronaldo look-a-like. They had a whole host of sound issues during their set and as a result were clearly a bit unhappy about it and never really got in to their rhythm.



The Maccabies

Next up were a band I have followed for nearly a decade and saw them as one of my first gigs as I started to really get into my music as a teenager. As a result, Flogging Molly will always have a place in my heart. I have to say it was one of the best performances I have seen them give (now that they have an extensive back-catalogue to choose from) and the accordian player even gave me his free beer during their set. It's clear that they are getting an increasingly big following now and it was also a reminder that I must get the new album.

Flogging Molly

Flogging Molly

Flogging Molly were followed by their punk-rock friends Rise Against whose aggressive guitar riffs brought the crowds jumping to the likes of "Prayer Of The Refugee". There was also a comic moment where a security guard tried to kick a stray beachball back into the crowd only for it to immediately catch the wind and fly across the stage hitting the bemused guitarist in the face. Then followed Interpol who played a really tight set with great sound as the evening approached and the sun went down. These are certainly two bands which I don't own enough music by, yet.

Rise Against

Interpol

Interpol

Lastly, headlining the first proper festival day on the main stage were Pulp. It was certainly the Jarvis Cocker show though as the rest of the band were resigned to the position of supporting musicians in the background but this is no bad thing as Jarvis has to be one of the great frontmen of a generation with his constant crowd participation and jumping all over equipment.

After the band had finished, I realised that I had been standing for 12 hours solid but it was worth every second.

Pulp

Other stages still have acts playing until the early hours so I went to see what all the fuss is about Hurts on the A38 Stage. They drew a huge crowd to the large hanger-type arena but I still dont get what all the hype is for, just repetitive and samey to me with cliched lyrics thrown in over the top for good measure. After a while I headed home after a long night.

Even that was extended to a trip to the hospital as the cyclist in front of me went headlong into a cunningly disguised metal fence and needed some assistance, (and later, 5 stitches in his forehead). Finally, with the sun rising and the campsite waking up, I got back and slept like a baby ready to do it all again later that day.

Hurts

Day 2

Now, at every festival you are bound to uncover a hidden gem and mine came in the form of French soul-singer Ben L'Oncle Soul and his excellent band. It was an energetic and tight set mixed with a great sound and loads of fun. Covers of "Seven Nation Army" by The White Stripes and "Crazy" by Knarls Barkley went down well as they deservedly got a huge turnout at the main stage. One to watch for sure.

Ben L'Oncle Soul

Next up were La Roux who were actually better than I expected... right up until their biggest chart success "In For The Kill" where the little ginger lass forgot the words for about half of the song and then they immediately lost sound from the electric drumkit too. Later on the main stage were Kasabian, but I am not really a fan and don't really get what all the hype is for.

La Roux

Kasabian

Finally to round off the night were The Chemical Brothers. By this point I had used my festival experience to worm my way to the front barricade from where you can see their huge deck of gizmos in the middle of the stage surrounded by lights, strobes, screens, smoke machines and lasers as well as a huge UFO-like ring of lights coming down from the ceiling.

Even if you didn't like the music, you could at least enjoy a spectacular visual show and an epileptic fit. For me, a huge DJ set is quite rare but I have to say I really enjoyed it and the crowd was really jumping right from the start until finishing with fan-favourite "Block Rockin' Beats".

Chemical Brothers

Day 3

In the afternoon I was able to meet up with my friends from Amsterdam - Bart, Laurens and Mike - who I had met on Queen's Day, along with two more of their friends. It was good to catch up for a while before we went to see excellent young Dutch band DeWolff.


DeWolff

Back at the main stage, we saw Skunk Anansie led by formidable frontwoman Skin (who I had seen before as a solo artist). She is a really exciting performer and really got the crowd rocking but as a band they are very raw and her voice is very sharp. Still, she was definitely entertaining as she constantly jumped through the crowd.

Skunk Anansie

I left the others for a while to get to the front for Dizzee Rascal, not normally my kind of thing but he put on a good show and showcased a couple of new songs, coming to a radio near you soon.

Dizzee Rascal

Afterwards, it was time for headliners The Prodigy. They put on a seemless and hugely energetic show and the crowd was as mental as it has been all festival with the security guys at the front of the stage getting over-run by people coming over the barriers. Keith Flint was as mad as ever and they were definitely one of the highlights of Sziget. They also win the award for most frequent use of the F-word during a set.

The Prodigy

The Prodigy

I met back up with the other guys afterwards and we had a few drinks until the sun started to come up and the next afternoon I drove them back to the airport as unfortunately they had to miss the last two days of the festival.

Day 4

After dropping off the Amsterdam lads, I headed in to the festival main stage where Kate Nash was playing. While her old material went down well, she seems to have found a radical new sound for forthcoming songs - some sort of screamy girl-punk which is just awful. Expect it to be coming to a bargain basement in the near future, but hey, I never really liked the old stuff either and that did pretty well.

Kate Nash

Kate Nash

For a change of scene, I walked across to the world music stage to see the excellent French folk band Debout Sur Le Zinc. There was a big crowd, mainly French too, and their set went down really well.

Debout Sur Le Zinc

Back on the main stage, the Kaiser Chiefs were playing and doing their best Oasis impression along with their own trademark nonsense lyrics. I had forgotten how irritating frontman Ricky what's-his-name is (about the same a nasty papercut?) and quickly left to watch Lostprophets on the Rock-Metal Stage.

Kaiser Chiefs

Lostprophets are a band I have seen several times over the years (as they seem to play so many festivals) but their albums are getting less original over time and as a result their shows seem to be getting very samey as they slowly drop down the bill.

Lostprophets

I went back to the Main Stage to watch headliners 30 Seconds To Mars, who were covering for the departed Amy Winehouse who was originally booked to play. They actually put on a great show, full of lights and confetti, and their epic songs fit well into a big festival arena. It was a good way to round off the night.

30 Seconds To Mars

30 Seconds To Mars

30 Seconds To Mars

Day 5

The final day was another one spent entirely on the front barrier of the main stage and began with little known Los Angeles flamenco folk band Mariachi El Bronx. They played a really fun set in their matching black outfits and got the few early-rising campers dancing away.

Mariachi El Bronx

Next up were Gypsy folk-punk band Gogol Bordello and they put on arguably the best show of the whole festival. It was entertaining and mental in equal measure but they still managed to pull out a really tight set which sounded fantastic. They played on for long after their alloted time and left the quickly expanding crowd loudly chanting for more. They even managed to fit in a little bit of Pink Floyd for good measure.

Gogol Bordello

Gogol Bordello

Following next were The National. The classy lead singer came on with a waistcoat and a goblet of red wine but that quickly became a plastic cup and then just drinking from the bottle as time wore on. By the end, I think he was a bit wasted but it definitely made for a more invigorated set and even when drunk he has a superb voice.

The National

The National


As the evening got darker, on came middle-aged Welsh rocking stalwarts The Manic Street Preachers who preceded to blast through a back catalogue of hits without too much drama but enough to put on a good show never-the-less.

Manic Street Preachers

Manic Street Preachers

So, who would they book to headline the main stage on the final night after an established crowd pleaser like The Manic Street Preachers. Well, erm, it's little known Brittish electro-indie band White Lies. To be fair they put on a really good show in front of a huge LED screen but it seems to me a bizzare choice to end what has been a great festival.

White Lies

White Lies

Having grown to know and love Budapest, giving the locals directions and growing accustomed to it's kooky charm along the way, I felt a little regret as I biked back once again through the spectacularly lit up city centre which I have now grown accustomed to. Sitting breifly on the riverbank with beer in my hair and dirt on my feet, it was a last parting present from the city before I head on to pastures new once again.




Soundtrack to my festival:

Prince - Purple Rain
Flogging Molly - Speed Of Darkness
Pulp - Common People
Ben L'Oncle Soul - Seven Nation Army
Chemical Brothers - Block Rockin' Beats
DeWolff - Gold And Seaweed
Prodigy - Run With The Wolves
Debout Sur Le Zinc - La Declaration
30 Seconds To Mars - Kings And Queens
Mariachi El Bronx - The Antichrist
Gogol Bordello - Another Brick In The Wall/Start Wearing Purple
The National - Slow Show
White Lies - Death

No comments:

Post a Comment