Interactive Travel Map


View "Vanny" - Travel Map in a larger map

23 May 2010

Week 21 - Map 1


I guess the advantage of a self-built campervan over a factory made one is that you can make it personal to your needs instead of having a generic box on wheels. With this in mind, I decided to fit a map of Europe to the inside of the sliding side door (my plan for the van is to travel extensively in Europe for 6-12 months). The idea is that it becomes a discussion of travel plans as it faces opposite to the seating area and table.

After measuring the space, I eventually found the perfect map to replace the plain grey panel that is fitted at the moment. I also ordered a sheet of 2mm perspex from a company just down the road which will cover and protect the map.
I first cut a piece of 4mm plywood to size and shaped it to fit around the door handle and lock. I then did the same with the perspex. After that, I glued the map flat to the plywood.
Later, this will be riveted to the door, framed, and sealed.

No comments:

Post a Comment