Interactive Travel Map


View "Vanny" - Travel Map in a larger map

20 March 2010

Week 12 - Kitchen Units


I spent £160 in B&Q on some kitchen units and a worktop which I then modified to fit in the van. The units were fitted first, using a jigsaw to cut out the areas which would sit over the wheel arch.
There would be plenty of other chunks taken out of these units later in the build but at this point I hadn’t decided exactly where everything was going to go.

Also, because the sides of the van are curved and do not run up straight, it took a bit of time to cut the back of the units so that the fitted tightly to the wall. When positioned correctly, I fixed these units to the wall. The cupboards consist of a large double-door cupboard on the left which has a lot of space inside, and a smaller single-door cupboard on the right with a drawer above it. 

One thing I quickly realised was that the doors open and clatter around when driving the van so I fitted some roller catches (see picture below) to the three doors and the drawer. As well as preventing the doors from opening, these also give a nice feel when opening and closing. These catches alone don’t always hold the doors shut though, so I fitted some child locks too, and between them, they do a great job.


The task of making the curtains fell on my mum, who is very capable on the sewing machine. She wasn’t too happy with the curtains but I think they look great.

No comments:

Post a Comment