Interactive Travel Map


View "Vanny" - Travel Map in a larger map

3 January 2010

Week 1 - New Van



My van has arrived! I have just taken delivery of a Y-reg Mercedes Sprinter 311CDi and I can’t wait to start planning and turning it from a bog standard white van into my very own personalised campervan. It is a medium wheel base (3.1m long and 1.7m wide in the back), high-top (allowing plenty of height to stand up). It belonged to a mechanic in its previous life who originally planned a camper of his own but in the end he used it as a day van for work. The result of this meant that it came with the following:
  • 2 side windows already fitted and sealed.
  • 5 additional minibus seats sitting loose in the back.
  • A nice new Sony stereo which takes CDs and MP3 players.
  • A small damaged sink and double hob unit.
  • Both high-top and low-top cab roof liners.
  • A partially insulated and plywood covered interior.
  • Fitted rear access shelving for tools.
  • A few bits of spare timber, ply, and naff carpet.
  • A lot of loose hay!


At the moment, the van is mechanically sound but does have a large dent in one side and is in dire need of 2 new tyres (probably 4). There are also a few minor rust patches but nothing too serious.

I should also explain at this point that I am high on enthusiasm and low on experience. I have a degree and a bit of common sense but no experience of plumbing, joinery, gas, electrics, mechanics, sowing machines, or even any real DIY to speak of. I also have a low budget, taken up mostly by the cost of the van so I will be taking my time in order to get bargain deals and do almost all the work myself with basic tools and materials.

NOTE: I will highlight changes and additional comments made at a later date, with green italics. It may stop somebody else making the same mistakes that I did.

Now, time to start work…

No comments:

Post a Comment